Monday, September 12, 2016

From Scratch


One of the best ways for us to save money is for me to start making things from scratch.  We go through lots of pancakes, muffins, and bread.  I got into a bad habit of buying the pre-mixes.  Sure, they are cheap enough, but we have financial goals and the budget had to be cut.  I began searching on Pinterest for ways to make my own baked goods from scratch. Turns out, it's actually cheaper to make things the way MawMaw (Grandmother) did.  

So now, I make muffins and pancakes enough to freeze in between finding cereals on really great sales.  We tend to rotate between bakes goods and cereals for breakfasts since they need to be fast and fit the budget.  (My kids HATE oatmeal no matter what I do and I don't have time to cook per their schedules).   This is also how I use up bananas that are over-ripe.


I have also begun making my own chicken broth from the left overs when I cook whole chickens.  IT IS BETTER THAN ANY STORE-BOUGHT, I promise you!  It freezes very well.  Just make sure you leave room for it to expand. Don't ask me how I know this. ;-)


I then use this broth to cook our rice in or for soup. It came in handy this weekend when I came down with the summer cold that's been going around. Oh my word it was sooooo good!




No comments: